Mango Cheese Slice

Cheesecake was my personal childhood favorite.
The block of ‘philly’ (Philadelphia cream
cheese) and the old Kenwood Chef on the kitchen bench was instant excitement and if cheesecake was on the menu for dessert, there was no doubt I would order it.
Just like Mum's

When I first made this cheesecake, I wrote down the recipe. I know I did. I’ve never been able to find it since so it took a few tries to get it right again.
I started with a basic plan but this was, mostly, one of those “throw everything in and hope for best” moments. I’d never made a cheesecake with gelatin and was dubious of the outcome. Now I wonder if I will ever use any other recipe again, it's just too easy and delicious.

This velvety smooth cheesecake is just sweet enough and the ingredients complement each other without any dominance in flavor.
My husband's enitial description was “The flavors build on your palate.” Maybe he should have been a food critic…

*Make sure you use a block of cream. The spreadable tubs don't set as well.

Mango Cheese Slice


Ingredients

Biscuit Base
200g ginger biscuits (thins or snaps)
70g cooking margarine or butter

Cheese filling
250g block cream cheese
2 small mangos or 1 large
1 Tblsp desiccated coconut
1 ½ Tblsp crushed pistachios
2 Tblsp icing sugar
2 tsp powdered gelatin
¼ cup hot water

Method
•Line a square (22.8cm) cake tin with baking paper.
•Crush biscuits and melt margarine/butter. Combine the two well and press firmly into the bottom of the tin. Place base in the fridge.
•Peel and deseed mangos.
•Dissulve gelatin in hot water.
• Combine cream cheese, mango flesh/pulp, coconut, pistachios and icing sugar with an electronic mixer until smooth and creamy. Add dissulved gelatin and combine well.
•Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over biscuit base and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set.

Did you know creamed cheese could be helpful for little fussy eaters?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full-time Parent Claims 'Sanity Day'.

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

Butterscotch Pudding - Self Saucing