Meatloaf

The first memory I have of meat loaf was possibly around 1984 when I was 4 years old. I don't even remember how it tasted. All I remember was that it was the lady made it in large cans that looked remarkably like dog food tins with the labels removed. My brother used to joke "It's so chumpy, you can carve it!" (Remember the chum ad with the little Scottish terrier?)


And so, for years after, the idea of meatloaf was so far beneath me I never even considered making it myself.... the four year old in me would not let go of the 'dog food' stigma.

It seems my husband has an even more interesting and rather confused view on meatloaf.
When confronted by the news that I was making meatloaf, he piped up to say "I feel like we should be living in a caravan."
How rude! Strangely enough, he went on to tell me his mum used to make meatloaf all the time and he didn't grow up in a caravan!

Why does meatloaf have such a bad reputation?
Is it because making it a tasteless slab of chewy minced/ground beef is so easy to do? (Believe me, I've been there, it's not pleasant.)

This recipe will leave your meat moist, mostly thanks to the addition of the hidden zucchini (which you can't see or taste). A few herbs for flavour along with  a tasty glaze and It's meatloaf revolution!

Meatloaf with BBQ Glaze
Ingredients:
Meatloaf
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 cup milk
450g ground beef
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 medium diced onion
1 medium Zucchini (courgette) grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon basil
Glaze
2 cloves crushed garlic
1⁄4 cup BBQ sauce
1 Tablespoon tomato paste

DIRECTIONS
• Preheat oven to 180°C
• Soak breadcrumbs in milk
• Combine meatloaf ingredients in food processor.
• Spoon mixture into loaf pan.
• Top with glaze.
• Bake for 45 minutes, remove from oven and cover with foil. Rest meat for 15 minutes.
• Slice and serve with your chosen sides.

Comments

  1. We love meatloaf!!! I like the glaze idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angie, the glaze is an extra layer of flavour, I hope you try it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Full-time Parent Claims 'Sanity Day'.

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

Butterscotch Pudding - Self Saucing