I've seen chicken patties made with mashed potato but never had any luck with them myself. The patties always seem to fall apart. (I'm sure it's me!)
These chicken patties use grated potato and I'm really happy with the results, the texture is perfect.
Of course you can add extra veggies to this mix but be sure to consider the extra moisture content.
As for the flavour, you have a blank canvas. If you are lucky enough to using the Your Inspiration At Home Range, you have any number of premixed flavours to choose from but for those who haven't discovered these unique blends (with no added colours, preservatives, fillers and artificials -shameless plug) I have added a few suggestions under the recipe.
note: you can bake these in the oven @200°C for five minutes each side but I found the results to be much better with a shallow fry.
800g or 4-5 medium potatoes - peeled and grated
500g minced/ground chicken
1 onion (red or brown) - roughly diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup bread crumbs *see below for gluten free options.
3 Tablespoons oil
***see notes below for extra flavouring suggestions.
• Place grated potato in the center of a clean dry tea towel, lift all four corners together then squeeze out excess moisture from potatoes over a bowl or sink by twisting the tea towel. Be sure to squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
• Place all ingredients (except oil) in the food processor and blitz until combined.
• Heat 3 Tablespoons of oil on high in a large frypan or skillet.
• Shape mixture into pattie shapes** and place in fry pan for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden brown.
* If you prefer not to use bread crumbs, you could substitute almond meal, finely crushed walnuts or similar. I have also made these with coconut which works well with curry and Thai flavours.
**Mix should be quite moist but if mix is too wet to shape, you can add more breadcrumbs or chosen substitute.
**You could make these patties just about any flavour you like, here's a few suggestions:
Curry - add a few teaspoons curry powder.
Thai - crushed garlic, basil, coriander, chilli
Herb and Garlic - crushed garlic and your favourite herbs.
Mustard and Tarragon - teaspoon of mustard and 1 teaspoons tarragon.
Cheese and Chive - 1/2 cup grated cheese 1/8-1/4 cup of chives.
Do you have any other suggestions? Go ahead and leave your feedback in the comments, I would love to hear what you think.