Sweet and Sour Sauce - no added sugar
A winning combination of lean protien, vegetables and a delicious sauce the kids will love.
500g Chicken thigh (fat trimmed) cubed
500g Pork fillet or steak cubed.
1/2 cup flour
2 Tablespoons cornflour
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup cold water
About 1/4 cup oil for frying shallow frying
Sweet and Sour Sauce
2 medium carrots. - all cut into chunks
440g can pineapple chunks (in juice)
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 Tablespoon cornflour to thicken if desired.
If using batter-
• Stir batter ingredients in a medium bowl until mixture is smooth and lump free.
• Add chicken or pork cubes to batter mix and stir to coat well.• Heat oil in a large frypan/skillet.
If not using batter you will only need 1 Tablespoon oil.
• Cook meat in batches until cooked through, set meat aside in a warm oven and drain excess oil from pan.
*Oil should be disposed of in a sealed container and placed in your rubbish bin, please do not tip down the sink.
• Heat frypan to medium heat and saute capsicum, onion and carrot for 3-4 minutes.
• Add the can of pineapple and juice, soy sauce and tomato paste and stir well.
If you want a thicker sauce
• Bring sauce to the boil and stir in cornflour. Continue stirring until sauce thickens.• Combine meat and sauce
• Serve immediately as batter will get soggy if left in sauce to long.